Gone are the days of bland and boring post workout shakes, you'd pop down to your local gym and you'd find in the lifting area shakers filled with protein powder and water. Smoothies have become a sort of mainstream phenomenon, with the supplement industry being a multi million pound industry. Smoothie bars and juice stations are popping up in every corner, and are quickly becoming a must have at boutique studios. You can even find an in house cafe in many.
What was once reserved for those wellness instagrams and body builders, is now a part of most of our everyday wellness routines. These smoothie bars are great for their convenience, but can put quite a strain on our bank account, not to mention store bought options are often filled with added sugars and sweeteners.
Smoothies are great for their convenience, and can come packed full of great nutritional benefits. They can provide a great balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fats to help fuel us up or aid our recovery post workout. Stuck for time? There's still no need to spend any additional money purchasing one on the go. You can simply prep your smoothie ingredients the night before and pop in the blender before you leave the house.
With countless amazing recipes online you are spoilt for choice. You can finding the perfect smoothie for weight loss, mass gain, a recovery sports shake, hormone balancing smoothie, as a snack, a meal, limits are endless. Below we share some of out top tips to get that perfect smoothie every time. From how to achieve the perfect consistency to tips on how to turn your boring protein smoothie into a Super Shake.
Nail that consistency!
A smoothies consistency can make or break the entire experience, too thick and you won't be able to get it up your straw to much liquid and it will be gone in seconds. There's no longer a need to simply rely on dairy for that extra creamyness and thickness, with great plant based alternatives on the market now. Dairy free lovers can also enjoy a delicious creamy shake, but what happens when you don't want to add an avocado or a banana to the mix (these are the most common ingredients to thicken smoothies) and want to keep the calories low. Below are some great ways to thicken up your smoothie.
- Ice: Not only is this completely calorie free, adding ice to your smoothie is definitely the cheapest way to thicken up any shake. Ice can also give the drink that sorbet consistency when blended with fruit, which is a great cooling option for a hot summers day.
- Chia seeds: These great little seeds, come packed with highly nutritious benefits. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons in your smoothie to achieve that added thickness, the longer you blend and let them sit in your smoothie, the thicker the shake will become.
- Frozen fruit: Frozen fruit is your best friend when it comes to smoothies, incredibly versatile too, Mango, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and bananas freeze perfectly and blended with yoghurt make the smoothie super thick and creamy. Another great benefit of using frozen fruit, is that it often tends to be much cheaper than fresh fruit.
- Oats: Adding oats to your smoothies is a great way of adding some healthy carbs into the mix, not to mention it will also include a nice amount of healthy fibre. A couple of handfuls of oats will do just the trick.
- Psyllium husk: A natural thickener that can also be used in your daily smoothies. Psyllium husk comes from the small seeds of the plantago ovata plant, and it's incredibly high in soluble fibre. Mix in one teaspoon to 300ml of liquid for that extra thick creamyness.
Drink your Veggies:
Smoothies are also a great way to pack in more of your five a day. Even for the little ones of the household, you can add extra fruit and veggies into their diet without even noticing. Did you know that adding peanut butter, cacao and avocado into a blender you can obtain a flavour resembling nutella? That's a win in our books! Just make sure when adding fruit into your smoothies you keep their flesh on. As the flesh holds many of the important nutrients of the fruit.